- 2003 – Current
- Co-founded the Digital Music & Sound Art course at the University of Brighton (the first
SoundArt course in Britain). Lectures and supervises BA, MA and PhD students.
This film presents a selection of SoundArt works created by the BA students at the
Digital Music & Sound Arts course of the University of Brighton 2003 – 2019.
- Launch of the Digital Music & Sound Arts Master Degree, University of Brighton. Sept 2019.
- 1993 – Current
- Adjunct Associate Professor at Richmond – The American International University in London: Postmodernism, Contemporary Visual Culture, Experimental Music and Media Art.
- Research Fellow, Institute of Aesthetics and Art Theories, Academy of Science, Berlin.
- PhD in Aesthetics, Technical University Dresden, Germany, 1985.
PhD Thesis: ‘The Interdependence of Aesthetic Relationships and Human Activity. A Philosophic-methodological Study of the Understanding of Aesthetics from a Historic-materialistic Perspective’.
- Research Fellow, Faculty of Philosophy and Cultural Theory, Technical University Dresden, Germany.
- MA graduated with summa cum laude.
MA Dissertation: ‘Aesthetic Thinking of Bertolt Brecht, Drawn from his Dramatic Oeuvre’.
- Graduate and Postgraduate Studies in Aesthetics, Philosophy and Art History, University St. Petersburg, Russia.
- Relational Sound: On the Aesthetics of SoundArt.
- Contemporary Visual Culture
- Art & New Media
- Sound Art Discourse.
- Radio Art
- Aesthetic Culture: Media theoretical Reflections on the Aesthetic Dimensions of Contemporary Culture.
- Technology Effects in New Music.
- Berlin’s Architecture in Change: Search for a New Identity.
- The Concepts of Modernism and Post-Modernism in Philosophy, Art and Culture’.
- The Oxford Science Park.
- Complexity in Postmodern Music.
- The Concept of Aesthetic Culture from the End of the Last Century to the 1980’s.
- On Rock Avant-garde in West European Countries in the 1970’s and 80’s.
- Song Movement in East Germany.
- The Philosophical Concept of Appropriation in Aesthetics and Literary Theory.
‘SoundArt as Hybrid Practice’, Athens School of Fine Arts, Greece, 6 Nov 2018.
‘Interaction with Sound’, Westminster Kingsway College, London, 19 Oct 2018.
Bern University of the Arts, Switzerland (Spring Semester 2015).
Linköping University, Sweden (2010).
London College of Printing/ London College of Communication, University of the Arts London
(2010, 2003, 2001, 2000).
Goldsmiths College, University of London (2005, 2001, 1996).
University of Glasgow (2002).
Academy of Media, Cologne (2002).
Royal College of Art, London (2002, 2001, 1992-1995).
University of Brighton (2001).
Middlesex University (2000).
University of Leeds (1998).
Fachhochschule Potsdam, Germany (1998).
Kant Academy, Berlin (1994).
Victoria & Albert Museum, London (1993)
SUPERVISION | EXTERNAL EXAMINATION
- Sound Art Course Evaluation, Bern University of the Arts [HKB], Switzerland Bern, 4 | 5 Nov.
- Mentoring Argentinian SoundArt artist Iliana Diaz Lopez, as part of the Landing Project
organised by Cascabel London, June.
- External Examination, PhD thesis Christopher Williams, ‘Writing with Sound: Creative Praxis in
Radiophonic Art’. University of Technology, Sydney, Australia. Dec ’17- Jan ‘18.
- External Assessor for DAAD [German Academic Exchange Service], Berlin, Apr.
- External Examiner for PhD thesis by Mike Blow, Theremino device.
- External Examination, PhD thesis by Angie Atmadjaja, Music Department, University of York, Sept.
- External Examination, PhD thesis by Robin McGinley, ‘Breaking the Sound Barrier:
Explorations in Experimental Sound Art, Soundscape Research and Interactive Systems’,
De Montfort University.
- Supervision, MPhil thesis by Richard Wolfson, ‘Live Film Music Event’, Royal College of
- External Examiner, PhD thesis by Renate Dohmen, ‘Writing Perceptions: Surfacing
beyond the Pale. Art, Decoration and the ‘Other’’, University of Newcastle upon Tyne.